Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Measuring With Non-Standard Units in 2nd Grade!

Gosh, it's so hard to believe that it's time again for our "measurement" unit!  It feels like just yesterday that I posted about our "Area Tile" activity and our "Area Zoo" Kim Sutton activity, too!  Now, it's been a year, and I'm about to repeat these great units with yet another class!  But before we get to jump into area, we began with length last week.

This is where my "1, 2, Measure With My Shoe!" Pack comes in so handy!  It's such a fun little activity that we can spread out over a few days to teach (or really, remind!) the students about measuring with non-standard units. 


From tracing the actual size, then using one of their own shoes to measure objects around the classroom (such as the door or recycle bin), and finally answering follow up questions and even higher level "what if" questions as a class, my "1, 2, Measure With My Shoe!" Pack has to be one of my all time favorite things to use with my kiddos throughout the year!


No comments:

Post a Comment